Website owners who created their site through WordPress.org are often left scratching their heads as to the why and how of adding a Google FriendConnect widget to their sidebar. But there are good reasons why you should consider doing so, and this tutorial will take you through the steps of adding it to your WordPress blog.
Adding Google FriendConnect to WordPress
1. From your Dashboard, navigate toÂ Plugins–>Add New and search for Google Friends Connect. Then install and activate the plugin.
2. After installation, navigate to Appearance–> Widgets.
3. If you look at your blog, you will see this:
4. Sign in to google.com/friendconnect and accept their terms of service to continue.
5. Next, you’ll be asked a few questions about the website this widget will be added to.
6. After clicking Continue, you’ll land on a page wishing you Congratulations! But stop before clicking the Add the Members Gadget button.
7. Take a peek at the URL of the Congratulations page. Make note of the end of the URL, starting at “id=” and the ID number that follows. You will need to copy and paste that ID number into the GFC widget on your WordPress blog.
8. Returning to your WordPress site, paste the ID number into the Google FriendConnect Site-ID field.
9. Save the changes you made to the widget, and refresh your homepage. You should now have a completed Google FriendConnect widget, ready to receive new followers.