Creating and using Facebook Interest Lists is something that can be helpful from a personal Facebook use standpoint as well as a business Facebook standpoint. As Facebook continues to change the algorithm, purposely decreasing the number of business Page posts you see in your feed, you likely aren’t seeing stuff from your favorite places. For businesses, you may have noticed that your Pages Feed is also dominated by a few Pages with little other content mixed in from other Pages you are connected to. As a business operating on Facebook, seeing posts from relevant Facebook Pages is an excellent way to curate content, so not having much variety in your Pages Feed makes that difficult.
(Alternately, if you want to see more stuff from certain Facebook Friends, you can create lists of Friends, too.)
Creating Facebook Interest Lists help you to see the posts that are most important to you without having to deal with the extremely limiting Facebook algorithm.
Yep, that’s correct – you WILL see LOTS more from your favorite Friends and Pages through the use of Facebook Interest Lists.
So here’s what you need to do to create those Facebook Interest Lists…
6 Steps to Creating a Facebook Interest List of Pages You Follow
- Locates Interests in your left sidebar or visit https://www.facebook.com/bookmarks/interests .
- Click to Add Interests.
- Facebook will suggest existing Interest Lists for you. You can also click to create your own.
- You are now presented with options to add to your Facebook Interest List based on Pages or People you Follow, your Friends, or by topic. You can use the search bar at the top right to filter your options. You do not have to already “like” a Page for it to show up in the search. As you select Pages, you’ll notice the “Selected” line at the bottom shows a count of total number of Pages you’ve selected so far. When you are ready to finish up your Interest List, click the blue Next button.
- Name your Interest List and decide what level of privacy you want for your list. If you are creating an Interest List to track your competitors, for example, you’ll want to make it private.
- Once your Interest List has been created, you can add Pages or remove Pages to it at any time. You can also adjust the privacy level by clicking on the icon next to your name, underneath the List name at the top left.
If you visit your Interest Lists section, you can choose to add any of them to your Favorites by hovering and clicking on the gear icon that appears.
It does take some time to initially setup your Facebook Interest Lists, but once you do, you’ll find that you Facebook user experience – both as an individual and as a business owner – is much better and more on point for your needs.
Thanks for the informative article, Liz!
As of sometime today sometime between Noon and 6 pm, all the FB Lists I have previously created for PAGES have disappeared…
Along with the category INTERESTS in my left column!!!
I am so upset about this — I LOVE my lists.
My Lists for regular FB Friend Profiles remain — only the Lists for Pages and the category “Interests” have disappeared.
When I click your link – https://www.facebook.com/bookmarks/interests – I get a FB page with the center content area EMPTY:
I am truly beside myself — now what????
Do you know of any workarounds??
I found the answer…
They have REMOVED this feature!
I am SOOOOOO angry!!! And so are the few who got to comment before they closed it for more comments!
Yes, it’s SO disappointing! Interest lists are incredibly useful and the best way to circumvent the News Feed. Just goes to show you never know what may change with Facebook. You wake up one day and they’ve removed a valuable feature.
If you haven’t found it yet, there’s a page on facebook: Bring Back The Interest Lists. I too am beside myself. They wiped out most of my on line reading when they deleted my interest lists.
Thanks for the referral!